Sunday, January 17, 2010

Our Heavenly Families

We had a great lesson this week, given by Sister Bond. She always does such a great job and brings a wonderful spirit with her. We talked about how we are Children of a Heavenly Father and what that means. Some interesting points that were brought up in the lesson were our personalities and talents and how we developed them in Heaven before we came to earth. I had never really thought about that before. She brought up the subject of Patriarchal Blessings and how they can be a guide in our lives. She also talked about they can mean different things when telling us certain things. I shared that when I received my patriarchal blessing I was disappointed because it didn't mention a word about my musical talents or my desire to be in the medical profession. It said that I would learn to can and garden and be self-sufficient. I remember thinking at the time I got my blessing..."Lord, do you even know me at all?" I DO NOT GARDEN! I can't even keep a fake plant alive. This last year I made it a "resolution" you might say, to really study and pray about my blessing to find out what it really means. I've learned so much in that short amount of time and things began to take on a new meaning for me. It was important for me to learn gardening skills and DEVELOP that talent because of the hard times that we live in. I planted a garden for the first time last year and I loved it! It didn't all work out perfectly, but we loved having fresh veggies from the garden and making salsa and spaghetti sauce and all sorts of yummy things. We saved a lot of money and I can't wait to do it again this year. That is just one example of the blessings I received by following and learning about my patriarchal blessing. I also discovered that the Lord didn't need to tell me that I had a musical talent or a love of caring for others because He knew that I already knew that and that I would pursue it anyway.
Ok, back to the lesson. She explained that while some of us have been foreordained to great things in this life...we all have been sent here to accomplish great things. Something that we all need to remember. It was a wonderful lesson. Read it and think about it this week!
In regards to announcements, we want to welcome Sister Leanne Bentley to our ward. Her son has recently moved in our ward and she says that she will be visiting quite frequently. CONGRATULATIONS go out to Lindsay Draper on her recent engagement! I have to admit that I've been waiting for that to be announced in the Good news minute. We all wish you a happy and joyful married life and look forward to the happy day in June.
The binders are being done a little differently now. Instead of having committees and groups, I am just going to put "ideas" in the binders. I am only putting a few copies of the ideas in there because I am tired of all the build-up of left over papers. If you want a copy of something in the binder you can write your name down or e-mail and I will get it to you. Or you can always check here as I will usually post them. There's also some scratch paper (left over programs) in the binders if you want to write these ideas down yourself. There's a book list in there which you can also get on the previous post. The cooking section has a really fun idea for Marshmallow Lollipops that will be great for Valentines Day. There's also a listing of FREE cooking classes and Crochet classes offered by Macey's Grocery Store and classes being offered by the USU extension. Look for those lists to be posted on here soon.
The biggest and most important announcement, is our Visiting Teaching Brunch THIS SATURDAY Jan. 23 at 10:30am. We will be handing out your new assignments so please make sure you come. There is going to be a fun little skit and great food so don't miss it!!!!!! (Please don't make me have to get the soap box out again and rant about Visiting Teaching and participating in Relief Society functions :) )
I hope you have a great week this week and I look forward to sis. Schiess' lesson next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment