Sunday, March 7, 2010

Music is the language of Angels

Sorry I haven't updated the blog lately. I've been busy with my new little baby! We've had some good lessons the last few weeks and I'm sorry that I don't have notes on all of them. First, I'd like to talk a little bit about last week's lesson. Sister Scheiss did a wonderful job presenting Pres. Monson's talk about service. To go along with that lesson, the Relief Society Presidency asked everyone to do RAK or RAS: Random Acts of Kindness (Service) for the people around you. Then on sunday we will have a jar and little slips of paper. You can write down the act you did or if someone did something for you, you can write that down and put it in the jar. You don't have to mention your name if you don't want to. Also, in this week's Church News, they asked for people to send in the RAS they do and it will be published in the paper...so it seems that the inspiration your RS Presidency received was right on track with the inspiration the church received. We will also be incorporating this theme in our RS Birthday Bash and I promise you YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS PARTY!

Ok, now onto this week's lesson. Sis. Margie Lindsay was kind enough to take my assignment of giving the Presidency Message this month and she did a FANTASTIC job! Her lesson was on the importance of music and how it can influence, inspire, and enrich our lives. She emphasized what the First Presidency wrote in the front of the Hymn Book. I've selected a few of my favorite passages from this letter:

MUSIC IN CHURCH MEETINGS:
"Inspirational music is an essential part of our church meetings. The hymns invite the Spirit of the Lord, create a feeling of reverence, unify us as memebers, and provide a way fro us to offer praises to the Lord. Some of the greatest sermons are preached by the singing of hymns. Hymns move us to repentance and good works, build testimony and faith, comfort the weary, console the mourning, and inspire us to endure to the end."
MUSIC IN OUR HOMES:
"Music has boundless powers for moving families toward greater spirituality and devotion to the gospel. Latter-day Saints should fill their homes with the sound of worthy music....The hymns can bring families a spirit of beauty and peace and can inspire love and unity among family members. Teach your children to love the hymns. Sing them on the Sabbath, in home evening, during scripture study, at prayer time. Sing as you work, as you play, and as you travel together. Sing hymns as lullabies to build faith and testimony in your young ones.
MUSIC IN OUR PERSONAL LIVES:
"...Hymns can lift our spirits, give us courage, and move us to righteous action. They can fill our souls with heavenly thoughts and bring us a spirit of peace. Hymns can also help us withstand the temptations of the adversary. We encourage you to memorize your favorite hymns and study the scriptures that relate to them. Then, if unworthy thoughts enter your mind, sing a hymn to yourself, crowding out the evil with the good."
Sis. Lindsay then asked if anyone would like to share their favorite hymn, why it was their favorite and then we sang a verse or two of that song. This is what was shared: Press Forward Saints, Called to Serve (many people had comments and stories for this song so we sang both verses), Because I Have Been Given Much, I Am a Child of God (which Sis. Lindsay had us a sing slower and think about the words...not a dry eye in the room!) and we ended the lesson with I Believe in Christ, which then set the mood for testimony sharing.
I am grateful to Sis. Lindsay for this lesson. Like her, music is very dear to my heart and a part of my being. Whenever I direct a choir, I ALWAYS have them study the words and tones of the song we are singing. I want them to send that message to every heart who hears them sing. I am not very good with words and getting my point across verbally, but musically I feel like I could preach all the discussions and convert every soul who listens! That's why my lessons are never very good. Because I have to speak...now if I could sing or play my entire lesson on the piano that would be much better!
This week, think about your favorite hymn or primary song and why it's so special to you. Sing it this week when you are frustrated or down or angry or just need a pick me up and see how the Spirit changes you in that small moment!
**Check the sidebar for this week's good news and announcements. We showed you a few samples of some of the crafts we will be making. I have the list of materials for the watch and earrings, but still waiting for the hair bows. I will be posting all of these complete with pictures in a day or two, so check back!**

No comments:

Post a Comment